Do you have an interest in coyote hunting, but don’t really know how to go about it? Are you under the impression that to be successful at hunting coyotes, you need to solely hunt them in the middle of the night? Does the thought of having to spend nights in the woods make you rethink wanting to fulfill your passion to hunt coyotes?
If you are anything like me, then you have undoubtedly experiences some of these same questions when attempting to hunt coyotes. The honest truth is that you can and should be hunting coyotes during the daytime hours. Honestly, there is no logical reason you should be waiting until the dead of night to begin hunting what you are after. Hunting is always a sport of chance and if you can double your chances for hunting opportunities, you are surely doubling your chance for success.
So what should you take with you when you head out to hunt coyotes during the daytime?
Some of the basic supplies you may need are:
- Weapon of choice: Any accurate long range rifle, such as the AR-15, can work.
- Full camouflage: Make sure that every part of your body is covered in order to ensure you blend in with your surroundings. This is especially true of your head and hands.
- Remote predators call AND mouth call: You can never be fully sure of just what will lure coyotes in, so be prepared with both.
- A decoy: A decoy can act as a visual lure in conjunction with your calls.
- Binoculars: You need a good long range set of binoculars to make sure you can accurately identify what is moving from several hundred yards away.
- Shooting sticks: A basic tripod to keep your weapon accurately aimed where you intend.
- 【Upgraded Super Silent Material】Hunting jacket suit is made of NEWVIEW's patented new generation super silent...
- 【Unique Camouflage Pattern Keep Hunters Stay Hidden】NEWVIEW's unique camoflague pattern is designed by simulate...
- 【UPGRADED DETAILS】Removable hood; one-way zip instead of two-way zip to reduce noise; all pockets with zip closures...
Steps for success when hunting coyotes in the daytime
To have the best chance for hunting coyotes during the day, you should follow the following steps:
Step One: Know where to hunt
- Do your homework prior to arriving at a hunting location. You should be looking for signs of coyote activity such as scat, fresh tracks, or indications that coyotes may have a den in the area.
- Pro Tip: Always consider brush covered places near a viable food source, such as cow pastures, as a good place to start when looking for signs of coyote activity.
Step Two: Get in Early
- Once you have decided on an appropriate place to hunt, make sure to get in before first light.
- Set your blind up in an area that will hide your overall form while also allowing you a full view of the ground around you.
- Pro Tip: You want to try to select a spot that forces any coyote to move to the open when responding to your calls.
Step Three: Remain Silent
- Be as soundless as you can throughout the hunt. Avoid slamming car doors, excess talking, or any other triggering sounds that may alert a coyote to your presence.
- You want to ensure that your weapon is loaded. The last thing any hunter wants is to lose the prey they have so carefully called due to having to chamber a round.
- Pro Tip: Always have the safety engaged with a loaded weapon until ready to fire.
- Features fully multi-coated lenses, BAK-4 Prisms and lead-free Glass
- Heavy-duty 100% waterproof/Fog proof construction
- Large center focus knob and 2-step twist-up eyecups
Step Four: Your Scent Matters and so does the Wind
- Do everything you can to avoid your scent from ruining your hunt. Use whatever means you can to ensure that you minimalize your scent prior to the getting out in the woods.
- When calling a coyote, do all that you can to remain downwind of where you expect them to be.
- You should also pay attention to your downwind side, as a coyote will do its best to travel downwind to get a better idea of what prey they may be stalking.
- Pro Tip: When hunting, you want to be aware of the direction of the wind. Any coyote that is downwind of you will know you are there before you ever see them.
Step Five: Calling them in
- If you are in an area that is flush with rabbits, you may want to use a wounded rabbit call as opposed to another.
- Select your call carefully and avoid overuse. Too much can alter coyotes to danger and not to a potential meal.
- Pro Tip: Pay close attention to the time of year and what animals are present in the area you are hunting. Certain animals will have a greater chance for luring a coyote in than others.
For more information about What does it mean when Coyotes Howl you can read this article!
Step Six: Bagging your Game
- Once you have successfully called coyotes to your position, take in the full scope of the field.
- Always check to see if you have a single coyote present or if you have multiple animals on the scene.
- Once you have assessed the situation, you need to quickly select the easiest target and shoot. If you wait too long, you will lose your opportunity.
- Pro Tip: It is important to note that you should be ready for multiple shots at both short and long ranges.
- ULTIMATE 4-IN-1 COMBO: Includes the 4-16x50 rangefinder rifle scope for long-range targets, our trusted holographic...
- 4X - 16X MAGNIFICATION: Adjustable zoom rangefinder riflescope with parallax from 15 yards to infinity providing...
- MULTIPLE RETICLES: Rangefinder reticle crosshairs with red & green modes and 5 light settings (high/ medium/ low/...
Now that you have read this step by step guide on how to hunt coyotes during the day, do you feel ready?
Every item in the list above is a proven benefit to have with you when you head out to hunt for coyotes. The last thing you need when setting out to bag this elusive game is to find that you don’t have the correct gear with you when you need it most.
So what do you think? This step by step guide will hopefully help you in understanding just how to go about hunting for coyotes during the daylight hours.
If you think this article contains some useful advice, feel free to share it with others. Also, if you have any experiences that you think are of value to others when it comes to hunting coyotes during the daytime, please share them below!
And do you like hunt skunks? In this article I will tell you how to hunt Skunks!
Last update on 2021-09-21 at 02:35 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API