The Best Hunting Backpacks that Money Can Buy | The Right Packs for Hunting
You may be thinking, “What makes a hunting backpack so special? I mean, any regular hunting backpack will do, right?” and I’m here to tell you that you are wrong. Like any other component of your gear, a good hunting backpack can get you a long way in your hunting expedition. But how do you choose the best hunting backpacks there is? Here’s a few of the things you need to consider when selecting a top rated backpack that’s suitable for you:
Quick Comparison of Some Best Hunting Backpacks
Choose the hunting backpack that fits your needs – Photo credit: outdoorhub.com
How to Select from The Best Hunting Backpacks
In this article, I’m going to give you a list of the top rated hunting backpacks available in the market. And here are a few factors you need to consider that’ll help you narrow down your choices to fit your individual needs:
When selecting a good pack, you have to make sure that the size is big enough to fit all of your gear comfortably. You need to estimate the backpack’s capacity and whether or not it’ll be of use in the majority of your hunting trips.
With this, you also have to ask yourself how many days does your usual hunting trip last? Of course, longer days out in the field entail a lot more supplies than usual, so make sure to select a pack that’s big enough for your usual hunting trip, to really maximize the extent of your purchase.
Moreover, another thing you have to consider is the size of the backpack relative to the size of your body. A good backpack will have to be the right size; not too big for your torso and not too little either. If you’re taller or bigger than average, choose a pack that hugs your body well.
A pair of durable hunting backpacks – Photo credit: modern-hunters.com
The second most important factor is durability. When choosing a pack, you need to carefully analyze the material and sturdiness of the item. You don’t want your backpack breaking open on the first trip nor deteriorating too soon—you want a backpack that’ll last a long time even with constant use, something made from high-quality material and very strong stitching.
I don’t deny that higher quality backpacks can be more expensive, but trust me when I say that this type of investment matters because a backpack with high durability can carry your gear as lighter, fuel, torch, hunting knife, camera, binoculars…, no matter how heavy, for a long period of time and with little to no deterioration from first-purchase quality.
Accordingly, make sure to select a backpack that will fit your needs. If you’re going to be hunting many times a year, you’re going to need a very sturdy backpack that’ll keep your gear safe all throughout.
Along with comfort, the length of your backpack matters. The best backpack for hunting will have a length that is suitable to your torso. What I mean by this is choose a pack with a length that’s right for you; with the pack ending just above your bottom.
In this way, you carry your heavy pack ergonomically, with a lot of the weight being supported by your shoulders and the top of your pelvis. Otherwise, a too long or too short pack will end up being very uncomfortable and feeling heavier than it really is.
Moreover, you have to look at the straps as well when considering comfort. The straps can either make your trip a breeze or a nightmare. So, when choosing a pack, select one that has padded straps that are soft enough for your shoulders.
Added features can be fun, and can make your hunting trip easier. Good backpack features include strategically placed pockets, storage pockets for your weapons that’ll allow easy access, and added compartments to carry smaller things, among many others.
When consider this factor, list down all your must-haves for a backpack. This will allow for an easier decision and can narrow down your options even further. However, make sure that these features don’t sacrifice comfort or durability, always put the most important factors over extra pockets or a free accessory.
Added features can make hunting easier – Photo credit: webyshops.com
The Best Hunting Backpacks for this Year’s Hunting Trip
Now that we’ve discussed the aspects you would need to look at when selecting a pack, let me help you with your final choice by highlighting these well-reviewed products below:
This pack was made for the hunter with preference for the bow and arrow as a weapon. Its features make it the best option for all the archers out there, but I cannot say the same for others who don’t use bows as their main hunting weapon.
Nevertheless, this pack can allow you to stalk your prey hands-free and has all the extra features that will make your trip way easier.
However, this pack is a day-pack and isn’t known to fit for week-long trips. But with smarter packing, I think this pack can last you longer than 3 days on the field.
- Storable bow compartment that fits a variety of bows for hands-free hunting
- Padded waist belt for comfort even with heavy packs
- A lot of pockets on front and sides for easier organization
- Hydration pocket and port for your water bottle
- Includes blaze orange rain cover with pocket of its own
- Roomy on the inside
- Adjustable straps to fit any body size
- Webbing loops for lashing
- Has chest and lower strap to keep pack in place when climbing
- Won’t be of optimal use for other weapons
- Can’t hold gear for more than a day or two
This pack puts comfort and durability before anything else.
Multiple padding system allows it to be ultra-comfortable even with heavier packs, and offers a large amount of room for hunters with a lot of days out on the field.
It can even fit a variety of weapons, so this pack is great for the multi-versed hunter.
If you hunt on different terrain and would like to carry more stuff, I recommend this backpack as suitable for you.
- Can fit a lot of weapons
- High organization with multiple pockets inside and outside the pack
- Lots of room for 2-3 days hunting trip
- Adjustable sternum strap for comfort
- Padded waist belt and shoulder straps to keep you comfy despite the heavy gear
- Two main pockets for easy access
- Hydration pocket to hold your water bottle
- Bartracked webbing to attach more gear to your pack
- Lightweight for easier carrying
- Durable material to last you years of hunting experience
- Day pack—won’t have room for trips that span 4-7 days
This particular pack that I’ve chosen is of unique design with a reason.
Its tactical design allows for strategic wearing that can make your hunting trip as comfortable and enjoyable as ever, plus a lot of useful features.
This pack is great for easier movement during hunting due to its ergonomic design.
Plus, it features extra attachment points and pockets for added storage and accessories.
- Weapon-sized scabbard to allow for hands-free stalking
- Contoured shape that allows for close-to-body ride for optimum fit
- Fully compressible straps to draw weight upward and focus mass on the hunter’s center of gravity
- Features PALLS/MOLE compatible webbing for several accessories
- Can attach accessory pouches (that you’ll need to purchase separately)
- Ample amount of room for 2-3 days of hunt
- Very strong material that can last a long time
- Relatively more expensive than other packs
- Semi-rigid material and lack of solid frame won’t allow you to carry a heavy load (e.g. animals)
This particular variant of the Hypervent series features a very lightweight pack that can hold up to 2,100 cubic inches of gear.
The Badlands Diablo Dos Approach comes with a built-in rifle boot and three compression straps. This pack is also compatible with 3-liter hydration systems.
Moreover, this pack’s KXO-32 tactical fabric is quiet enough for hunting elk and other skittish animals. And its T-6 aluminum frame ensures that this pack with last through limitless abuse.
However, this pack is not entirely waterproof and will need additional spraying to keep water out of your gear. Nevertheless, if you want a comfortable and lightweight pack with added sturdiness, choose this pack instead.
- Very lightweight
- Hypervent Suspension keeps pack off of your back
- Plenty of storage and separate boot for carrying your bow or rifle
- T-6 aircraft aluminum internal frame for durability
- Made of quiet and durable KXO-32 camo fabric
- Very roomy pack that will allow you to hold up to 2,00 cubic inches of gear
- Covered by a great warranty that fixes or replaces your pack for free
- Pack’s shape contours around your back for a more comfortable fit
- Compatible with 3-liter hydration systems
- Powerful compression for compact packing
- Features Approach camo pattern
- No built-in pistol holder
- Water- and weather-resistant fabric treatment is not very effective
Another variant of the ALPS brand is the Commander Freighter Frame pack.
What’s great about this pack is it allows you to carry a lot of gear inside the pack back. But not only that, this pack allows you to detach the freighter frame to carry your meat back to the truck.
So essentially, you’re getting a backpack plus a freighter frame. Very recommended for hunters with large loads and a lot of prey to hunt!
The only downside to this pack is its uncomfortable straps, which would need replacing if you want them to last in the field.
- Very large pack that offers ample space for your gear
- Detachable freighter frame for hauling catches from place to place
- Top loading and lower door access
- Internal divider and strategically placed pockets for easy access and organization
- Webbing loops for lashing to carry extra pouches or accessories
- Rifle holder
- Solid pack for durability
- Uncomfortable, non-durable straps
- Doesn’t allow for adjusting to smaller body types
- Will need a few modifications for optimal use
While reading these hunting backpack reviews, you probably already have an idea of your ideal pack and the features you want. Now, you will only need to make a careful choice when selecting your pack to get your money’s worth. My personal tip is to never buy a cheap pack that promises quality because most often than not, a cheap pack won’t deliver the quality you deserve.
OUR TOP CHOICE
All in all, I would like to crown ALPS OutdoorZ Dark Timber Day Pack as the best hunting backpack for this list.
I would like to attribute my choice to the product’s versatility, durability, comfort, and simple design.
This pack can be used with a lot of different weapons while carrying all the essentials, plus makes the trip more comfortable than ever with its padding.
The ALPS Dark Timber pack has proven to be quite durable in the face of extreme stresses during hunting.
Well, there you have it! The hunting backpack reviews for the best hunting backpacks that you can take on your hunting trip this year. If you found this article helpful, why don’t you leave a comment below and share this with your friends? Thanks for reading!