How to Make a Snake Trap Quickly and Efficiently
In some areas, snakes can become a big problem. They’re usually harmless if left alone, but if you have one that keeps on lurking in your yard, it could be a serious hazard for your kids, your pets, or yourself. In this article, we’ll be learning how to make a snake trap in order to get rid of this problem quickly and efficiently.
Keep in mind that you should only take on snakes if they’re bothering you or endangering your households. Otherwise, it’s best to leave them alone to decrease the chances of getting bit. However, hunting snakes are a different story. For that situation, feel free to following our tutorial as well.
If you prefer hunting snakes instead of trapping them, you may need to enlist the help of the best bow sight for your trusty bow.
How to Make a Snake Trap
For this part, we’re going to divide it into two sections: how to make a snake trap for a) small snakes, and b) big snakes. Let’s get to it:
A. How to Make a Snake Trap for Small Snakes
Small snakes are easier to trap and even easier to handle after you’ve trapped them. Nevertheless, you should always exercise care when setting your traps, checking them, and handling the trapped snake after you’ve caught it.
- Plastic bottle
- Frozen bait
- Wash out the bottle thoroughly until no smells permeate from it. Make sure the cap of the bottle is tightly closed.
- Take your scissors or cutter and cut a small hole on the butt of the bottle. The size of the hole should be big enough for the snake to fit through.
- Slide your bait into the bottle. You can get common snake food at your local pet store.
- Place the trap in the area where you commonly see the snake.
- Make sure to check your trap everyday after setting it. The snake should not be able to fit through the hole once it’s inside.
- Once you’ve caught the pest, call your local animal control center and let them deal with the snake.
B. How to Make a Snake Trap for Big Snakes
Bigger snakes can be more tricky to trap and/or scarier to deal with. However, it doesn’t take much to catch them either. If you’re hunting these big snakes or simply getting them away from your family, pets, or livestock, here’s a quick tutorial on how to make a snake trap for big snakes:
- Wooden box
- Framing hammer
- Create a wooden box. You can either make it yourself or buy a commercially available wooden box.
- Make sure that your wooden box has a lid.
- Create very small holes on the box, big enough to allow air in and to be able to let the bait’s smell waft outside.
- Make a small opening on one side of your wooden box.
- Make two “doors” with plexiglass. These doors need to be bigger than the small opening you’ve created on the box.
- Position the plexiglass on the inside of the box and attach hinges to it.
- Place bait inside of your box. Ensure that there are no other scents inside the box other than the bait. Again, you can find bait for snakes at your local pet shop.
- Place your trap near the den of the snake or where you usually find it lurking
- Check the trap every few days. Essentially, the snake enters the trap through the small opening covered with plexiglass. When it enters, it is trapped inside because the plexiglass cannot be lifted.
- Once you’ve caught the snake, hand it over to the authorities. Exercise care in all actions most especially if the snake is venomous.
What are your other options?
If you don’t have the time or tools to make a snake trap yourself, you can check out commercially available snake traps. These usually come in the form of the snake glue trap or snake cages, which are harmless to the snake and will make it easier to hand them over to animal control.
Another option is to call in an exterminator or an animal control expert to do the work for you. If you feel that the situation is too dangerous for a non-professional to handle, do not think twice before calling in the authorities.
If you’re feeling adventurous, however, you can hunt snakes with a bow equipped with the best bow stabilizer. But just like any hunting job, you should take precaution in every step you make. Snakes are as dangerous as any other wild creature out there, and you should know what to do in order to make them the prey and not let them bite you.
When hunting snakes, you should also know the local laws on killing snakes (if it’s allowed in your area or not) and you should also ensure a hunting license before anything else. A bow is the probably the best weapon to hunt snakes, since an arrow won’t damage the skin or body of the snake the way a gun would.
What are the other precautions you should do to avoid snakes?
If you live in an area with a lot of wild snakes, you should go ahead and take extra precaution in order to keep your family and home safe. Here are a few tips to keep things snake-proof if you feel that there is a threat:
- Use snake-repellents on your yard and home.
- Keep children and pets inside of the home until the problem is resolved. Do the same if you have livestock, especially chickens.
- Clean out any place in your house that a snake can make itself at home. Common targets of snakes are attics, sheds, garages, and any place that there are a lot of untouched stuff.
- Exterminate rats in your home which can attract snakes.
- Place a few snake traps in your yard our inside your house.
Now that you’ve learned how to make a snake trap, you can apply it to your current situation. These homemade snake traps are very efficient in solving minor snake problems either in your backyard or inside of your home.
For major snake problems, however, it’s best if you consult with a professional instead of dealing with the problem yourself, as it can be a dangerous task. As always, I emphasize the importance of being careful while handling snakes, especially when setting them free at another location. Always remember that snakes, when agitated, are aggressive and can jump at their attacker. So be sure to always be careful. If you’re not up to the task, you can call animal control to handle it.
There is our article on how to make a snake trap. Did enjoy it? If you did, feel free to leave a comment below and share this with your friends. Thanks for reading